e-NEWS: Suggested Reading - E15:
The EPA has written a complex set of conditions intended to mitigate engine damage (misfueling) from new E15 fuel type.
- "EPA's new 4-gallon gas rule sparks debate" JSOnline Journal Sentinel, Sept. 18, 2012
Excerpt: "...Without the rule, a motorcyclist who followed an E15 customer at the pump, but who only purchased two gallons of E10, could receive enough residual E15 from the hose and nozzle to violate an engine warranty and possibly cause engine problems..." LINK: http://www.jsonline.com/business/4gallon-gas-rule-sparks-debate-b86tmno-170272246.html
- "Fall fuel change brings new opportunities for E15" Ethanol Producer Magazine September 2012
Excerpt: "Sept. 15 marks the expiration date...The EPA’s prior E15 approval included a summer vapor pressure restriction to 9 psi...'This should speed the rollout of E15 in states like Kansas, Illinois, Iowa and others because the final barrier in many states will disappear,' stated Robert White, director of market development for the Renewable Fuels Association."
- "Warranties void on cars burning E15, say automakers" Consumer Reports, July 7, 2011
Excerpts: "The new orange label displays 'E15' in large type and states that the fuel is for use only in 2001 or newer model-year vehicles or flex-fuel vehicles, and that it is illegal to use it in other vehicles or in power equipment such as lawnmowers. In response to the release of the labels, nine automakers-including Chrysler, General Motors, and Toyota-wasted no time writing letters to Congress criticizing the proposal and noting that they will not honor warranties for older cars running on E15. The automakers say they are concerned about the effects of E15 on engines, fuel pumps, and other fuel-system components in cars that were not designed for it..."
- Mercury Marine releases study October 2011 - A blend of 15 percent ethanol and gasoline caused so much damage to boat engines during a government-funded study that the testing of two of three motor types ended early.
http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy12osti/52909.pdf "High Ethanol Fuel Endurance: A Study of the Effects of Running Gasoline with 15% Ethanol Concentration in Current Production Outboard Four-Stroke Engines and Conventional Two-Stroke Outboard Marine Engines, June 16, 2010 – June 30, 2011".
- "Iowa 15% Ethanol Incentive Takes Effect" Dometic Fuel, June, 2011
"Effective July 1, Iowa retailers are eligible for a three cent per gallon tax credit for every gallon of E15 sold..."
- "Oil, food groups file second round of E15 lawsuits" Ethanol Producer Magazine, March 15th, 2011 LINK: http://www.ethanolproducer.com/articles/7603/oil-food-groups-file-second-round-of-e15-lawsuits
- Sensenbrenner Leads Bipartisan Letter: 33 House Members Insist EPA Delay E15
sensenbrenner.house.gov Sensenbrenner Contact: Amanda Infield (202) 225-5101
http://sensenbrenner.house.gov/News/DocumentPrint.aspx?DocumentID=269445 "Washington, Nov 17 2011- Congressman Sensenbrenner, Vice Chair of the House Committee on Science, lead a bipartisan group of 33 House Members in sending a letter to EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson. The letter insists that the EPA delay registration of E15 until adequate testing is conducted to show the fuel will not damage engines or lead to mis-fueling..."
E15 In The News (Older News)...
- "Higher Ethanol Blends Present Many Changes" 03/11/2009 by Gary Truitt, Hoosier AG Today
Read full article at: http://www.hoosieragtoday.com/wire/news/02285_blend_wall_172550.php
- "OPEI concerned over E15 fuel issue" 03/09/2009 by Landscape Management/OPEI
Excerpt, "The Outdoor Power Equipment Institute (OPEI) has serious concerns with a premature rush to 15 percent ethanol (E15) or other mid-level fuel blends as being suggested by pro-ethanol producers.
Read full article at: http://www.opei.org/ht/d/Articles/pid/187